The human Respiratory System consists of the organs that allow you to inhale oxygen and expel carbon dioxide. Bacteria, viruses and other microorganism cause many respiratory illnesses. The lifestyle choices you make daily, affect your Respiratory Health in many ways. Available to you are 12 Natural Ways to Improve Respiratory Health that will also prevent the spreading of pathogens and avoid lung damage.
Your Respiratory System is one of the most important human body systems, since it the body’s oxygen supply. Without oxygen you will be brain-dead in 5 minutes and your heart stops within 6 minutes. Your Respiratory Health allows a healthy adult to breath around 16 breaths per minute which is 23,040 times a day.
12 natural ways to Improve Respiratory Health
Here are Natural Ways to Improve Respiratory Health:
- Avoid/Quit Smoking: Most important DO NOT smoke. Smoking is harmful to Respiratory Health by causing inflammation and killing respiratory cells. This can lead lung cancer, throat cancer, emphysema, lasting lung disease and chronic bronchitis.
- Regular Healthcare: Consistent medical check-ups helps you to identify and prevent respiratory problems. Amongst other, your healthcare provider listens to your breathing to gauge your Respiratory Health.
- Walk Faster: By increasing your walking speed your body consume more oxygen and your lung muscles work harder. This makes your Respiratory System more efficient strengthen the respiratory muscles. If you get out of breath easily by just walking faster, could be an indication of an underlying health issue.
- Exercise Regularly: Similar as above, regular exercise makes your lungs stronger and more effective in coping with the oxygen demands of your body. If you have a respiratory condition, then check with your doctor before starting an exercise program.
- Avoid Harmful Environments: As far as possible, do not find yourself in settings that can harm your Respiratory System. Examples are chemicals in your home/workplace, second hand smoke, dust and outdoor air pollution. Avoid running/exercising on busy roads or parks on thoroughfares. Where possible, avoids crowds during the cold and flu season.
- Stay Hydrated: Mucus protects and moistens the lining of your lungs. By drinking plenty of water, you create a thin and consistent mucus lining. In contrast, dehydration thickens mucus and slows respiration.
- Practice Cleanliness: Good oral hygiene help prevent infections moving to the rest of the body, particularly your lungs. Wash your hands regularly to remove pathogens obtained from touching surfaces in public transport, restrooms, schools, workplaces, etc. At no time touch your mouth, eyes or nose before washing your hands. Always cover your mouth when you are coughing, using your arm (not hands) or using a tissue that you dispose yourself.
- Houseplants: Add houseplants to your rooms/living spaces to improve the air quality of your surroundings. House plants (some plants are more effective than others) removes chemical vapors/fumes that can weaken Respiratory Health.
- Healthy Weight: Your Respiratory System works harder and less efficient that necessary, if you are overweight. A fat belly restricts diaphragm movement, reduce space for the lungs that inhibit lung expansion.
- Eat healthy: Your diet should contain the nutrients necessary for a healthy Respiratory System. Nutrients that are good for a Respiratory Health include vitamin C, vitamin E, carotenoids (class of mainly yellow, orange, or red fat-soluble pigments) and several minerals (especially zinc).
- Breathing Exercises: Since Yoga focuses on deep breathing and respiratory awareness, it helps you to increase your lung capacity and lung function. There are many other breathing exercises that have similar Respiratory Health benefits. Breathing exercises also help you to relax and reduce stress.
- Herbal Tea: The herbal tea Pulmonaria improves your respiratory functioning. Pulmonaria is used worldwide respiratory illnesses such as coughs, colds, bronchial cleansing and catarrhal (build-up of mucus in an airway) problems. Pulmonaria (lungwort) is a genus of flowering plant family Boraginaceae from Asia and Europe.
SUPPLEMENTS FOR Respiratory Health
In addition to the 12 Natural Ways to Improve Respiratory Health, you can consider taking supplements. Visit the Respiratory System page for highly recommended supplements for a healthy Respiratory System. These supplements cover Lung Health and Respiratory Health.